City Flag AND City Seal
History of the Huber Heights City Flag
Though the City of Huber Heights, Ohio was incorporated on January 23, 1981; the City did not adopt a City flag until 2006. As part of the City’s twenty-fifth anniversary celebration, students at Wayne High School in Huber Heights were asked to submit entries for a City flag design as part of a contest. The winner of the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Student Flag Design Contest was a Wayne High School exchange student and resident of Germany, Joyce de Silva, who received a $100 U.S savings bond for the winning flag submission.
At the June 26, 2006 Huber Heights City Council Meeting, Councilmember Karen Kaleps made a motion to adopt the winning flag design as the official flag of the City of Huber Heights. The motion was seconded by Councilmember Roger Hensley and adopted by the Huber Heights City Council by a vote of 6-0.
The design of the Huber Heights flag includes two large rounded “H” letters standing for “Huber Heights.” If the two “H” letters were connected, it would form an “O” for “Ohio.” The City Seal is in the center of the flag. The City flag is composed of the colors that had come to represent the City - green and blue. The two horizontal dark blue stripes represent the two major thoroughfares that span Huber Heights - Brandt Pike and Old Troy Pike. The “1981” on the upper part of the flag is the year in which Huber Heights was incorporated as a City. The seventeen white stars on the flag represent the fact that Ohio was the seventeenth state to join the United States of America.
The newly adopted City flag of Huber Heights was first posted in the Huber Heights Council Chambers during a Huber Heights City Council Meeting on July 10, 2006 by the Wayne High School ROTC Color Guard.
History of the Huber Heights City Seal
Though the City of Huber Heights, Ohio was incorporated on January 23, 1981; the City did not adopt a City Seal until 1983. The City of Huber Heights held a contest in 1982 and residents of the City were asked to submit their entries for a City Seal design as part of this contest. The deadline for submissions for the contest was December 31, 1982. At the February 14, 1983 Huber Heights City Council Meeting, awards were presented to Daniel J. Smith for first place, George Bayless for second place, William J. Trimback for third place, and Charles M. Monita for fourth place.
The Huber Heights City Council recommended that portions of each of these winning entries be incorporated into the final design for the Huber Heights City Seal. The Administration Committee of the Huber Heights City Council was tasked with completion of the final design for the City Seal.
The design of the Huber Heights City Seal is a circular seal with scalloped edges. The City Seal is composed of the colors that had come to represent the City - green and blue - with gold lettering, border and trim. The outer ring of the City Seal in dark blue contains the inscriptions “City of Huber Heights, Ohio” and “Incorporated January 23, 1981.” The center of the City Seal is divided into four quadrants with a green background and gold representations of significant items to the City of Huber Heights. The upper quadrant pictures the Taylorsville Inn built in 1834. The left center quadrant represents the City’s churches and schools. The right center quadrant represents the City’s parks with a picture of the gazebo at Community Park. The lower quadrant pictures the Canal Locks built in 1829.