Income Tax FAQ's

What is the Huber Heights tax rate?
Effective 1/01/2015, the tax rate is 2.25%. For tax years 2009 through 2014, the rate was 2%.  For tax years 2006 through 2008, the tax rate was 2.25%. For tax years 2000 through 2005, the tax rate was 1.95%.

Who is required to file a Huber Heights Tax Return?
All Huber Heights residents 18 years of age or older are required to file returns annually. Non-residents are required to file only when they earn income within the City of Huber Heights which is not fully withheld upon, or have a business or rental property in the City. Every business located in or performing services in the City is required to file annual returns. All returns are required regardless of the amount of income received or losses incurred.

When is my Huber Heights Tax Return due?
The due date for calendar year taxpayers is April 15th. The due date for fiscal year taxpayers is 3 ½ months after fiscal year end.

I am under the age of 18, but am working. Do I have to file a return?
As of 01/01/09, residents are not taxable until they reach the age of 18. Prior to 1/01/09, Huber Heights residents became taxable at the age of 16. If you were age 16 or 17 for tax years 2008 and prior, and were fully withheld, you are not required to file a return. If your taxes were not fully withheld, you are required to file and pay the tax due.

I am retired. Do I have to pay tax?
Social Security income and pension income are not taxable at the local level; however, as a resident of Huber Heights, you are still required to file an annual return. If you are retired, but receive other types of income, such as part time wages or rental income, you are required to file a return and pay the tax on that income. In some circumstances, retired residents can become exempt from filing annual returns. Please contact the tax office to see if you meet the eligibility requirements.

I am a college student and live away from Huber Heights while attending school. Do I have to file a return?
Yes. If you maintain Huber Heights as your legal residence, you are required to file a return even though much of your time may be spent out of the City. Any income that you earn is taxable to Huber Heights regardless of where earned.

Can my spouse and I file a joint tax return?
For tax years 2008 and forward, you can file jointly with your spouse, or individually. For tax years 2007 and prior, the City of Huber Heights required individual filing only. The format of the Huber Heights tax return form for tax years 2007 and prior provides you with the ability to both use the same form, but your and your spouse’s incomes are not combined.

What documents do I have to attach to my return?
Documentation is required to support all income, credits and adjustments shown on your city return. The specific forms needed will vary depending on each taxpayer’s situation. Examples of necessary forms, if applicable: W-2s (showing Federal, Medicare and Local wage amounts, and amount of city tax withheld for all cities); 1099s; page 1 of Fed Form 1040; Fed Schedule C, E, K, or K-1; Form 2106 and Fed Schedule A; page 1 & 2 of Fed Form 4797; Fed Form 1065, 1120 or 1120-S and supporting schedules; documentation to support part year residency.

I live in Huber Heights, but my employer does not withhold city tax. Can I pay all of my Huber Heights tax when I file my return?
No. The Huber Heights Ordinance requires you to have at least 90% of your Huber Heights tax paid in by January 31st of the following year. This can be paid through withholdings and/or quarterly estimated payments. If you do not have at least 90% of your current year’s tax (or an amount equal to 100% of your prior year’s tax) paid by January 31st, you will be charged an underpayment of estimated tax penalty.

I live in Huber Heights and work in Dayton. Do I get a refund?
No. If you work in any city with a tax rate higher than Huber Heights, you receive a credit for tax paid to that city, but the credit will not exceed the Huber Heights tax rate. Your taxes are first paid to the city that you work in. Your residence city does not receive any of those taxes; therefore, cannot refund it. If you work in a city whose tax rate is lower than Huber Heights, you receive a credit for tax paid to that city, and you will owe Huber Heights the difference.

I do not live or work in Huber Heights, but my employer withheld Huber Heights tax by mistake. Can I get a refund?
Yes. You must file a Refund Request Form which must be signed and certified by your employer, and include your W-2.

I have only lived in Huber Heights for a few months. What do I have to do?
You are required to file a Huber Heights return for any portion of the year that you were a resident. Taxable income will be based on the income that you earned while a resident only (unless the income was earned within the City of Huber Heights, in which case it is fully taxable). You must attach documentation of your part year income such as a pay stub closest to the date that you moved in or out.

If you have any further questions about Huber Heights income tax, please contact our office at (937) 237-2976. You can visit our office in person at 6383 Brandt Pike, in the Huber Centre. You can also e-mail questions to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..